home  navigate_next  열린 강의  navigate_next  Text 강의

Text 강의

수학강의11과 \ MathNatural Science

Today, we begin with the LCM vs. GCF in the lower part of page 66. I’m reminding you of the homework that is “Why don’t we study LCF?” We’ve already talked about the unnecessary of GCM, and you don’t have any problem about understanding it, right? Now, it’s time for checking your homework. Give me your reply.

Let’s move on to page 67.
There are some terms that need our attentions. They are:
“Equivalent fractions”
“Family of fractions”
“The fraction in lowest terms”
“The fraction in lowest terms” is “기약분수”in Korean. “Family of fractions” are those have the same magnitude in numbers, which means the fractions that share the same fraction in lowest terms. And all the fractions in a family of fractions are equivalent fractions.
Here, we can say “약분하다” for “reduce to lower terms or just reduce the fraction n/m,” and “기약분수로 약분하다” for “reduce to lowest terms.” Don’t forget to put ‘s’ in the tail of ‘term’. More importantly, don’t forget not to put ‘the’ in front of lowest. In Korea, students have been being taught they have to put ‘the’ in front of the superlative form of an adjective or a verb.

This is the fundamental principle of fractions. If the numerator and denominator of a fraction are multiplied by the same nonzero number, the value of the fraction remains unchanged. You don’t want further explanations. If I try, you’ll kill me, right?

Checking: we already turned to page 68.

Why don’t you translate “다음을 기약분수로 약분하시오,” into English? Now, you’re seeing the answer from the last example of page 68. Yes! “reduce the following to lowest terms,” is right.

Now, we’re on page 69. Easy moving! Isn’t it?
The first question that we meet here is “Do you have to use the GCF to reduce to lowest terms? Yes, definitely! Wow! We’ve just hunted one more reason that we need the GCF, not LCF.

One more term is waiting for us, “the U.S. customary rule.” It’s an inch ruler. Check what kinds of aesthetic points does one have from Figure 2-7.
Gross? Me think, especially to Koreans!
Just read and make your knowledge enlarged. No more!

That’s all for today. We’re going to study from page 70 tomorrow.
Bye!

Ernest